CALL US: 087 160 0242
Marriages in Community of Property – Transactions Where the Written Consent of Your Spouse is Required

In my divorceWe know you are very busy with planning everything for the wedding, and we know you don't have time to read a long article, so here is a brief infographic to highlight the importance of an antenuptial contract. If you do want more information, we have an article elaborating on the ins and outs of an antenuptial contract. Also read our article about frequently asked questions about antenuptial contracts. practice I am often confronted with scenarios where either, or both, parties to a marriage in community of property feel aggrieved as a result of transactions entered into by their spouse on behalf of the joint estate during the course of the marriage. These transactions invariably have significant implications to the joint estate and/or the interest of either party in and to the joint estate.

In my experience very few people, aside from practising members of the legal fraternity, are aware of the fact that there are various transactions which are prohibited insofar as the contracting spouse is concerned, unless the written or verbal consent of their spouse is obtained.

In some instances written consent is required, while in other instances verbal consent will suffice.

In the event that a spouse enters into prohibited transactions in terms of the Matrimonial Property Act, the innocent spouse may be entitled to relief upon division of the joint estate in the form of an order for adjustment in their favour to the extent that the offending transactions have caused prejudice to the joint estate.

The Infographic below briefly sets out those transactions in respect of which written consent is required.

For more information please contact us.

Please note that the information contained herein is distributed solely for educational purposes. No article or infographic will ever replace sound legal advice which has been dispensed after all relevant facts have been considered in consultation. When in doubt, please consult with an attorney. The information contained herein was obtained from the Matrimonial Property Act 88 of 1984


About the Author

Mervyn Vermeulen
Mervyn Vermeulen

Mervyn Vermeulen is the founder and director of Vermeulen Attorneys. He specializes in Family Law, Labour Law, and Litigation.

No Comments

Comments are closed.

Ground Floor | Block A | Willowvale Office Park | 24 Van Hoof Close | Ruimsig | Roodepoort