For the purposes of clarity, it is convenient to divide the field of Debt Collection into two groups, namely:
- Soft Collections (Letters of Demand, Phone Calls, Blacklisting Etc)
- Hard Collections (Collections via litigation)
To ensure that debt is recovered as efficiently and quickly as possible, it is imperative that a coherent mix of soft and hard collections be followed. You therefore need to ensure that a strategy is put in place to minimise bad debt, and improve your cashflow. At Vermeulen Attorneys we have put processes in place to enable us to take care of both your Soft and Hard Collections. This ensures that no time is wasted in handover from Collection Agents to Attorneys. We have further structured our processes to ensure a maximum file turnaround in minimum time.
The team at Vermeulen Attorneys are skilled can provide the services of both:
- Debt Collector/ Collection Agent;
- Debt Collection Attorney.
Services Rendered by Vermeulen Attorneys
- Vetting of Debtors via available Credit Bureau information;
- Listing of defaults on Credit Bureau (where applicable);
- Drafting Letter of Demand;
- Contacting Debtor Telephonically;
- SMS reminders to pay;
- Drafting Acknowledgement of Debt;
- Tracing (via Credit Bureaus);
- Drafting and Issue of Summons;
- Applying for Default Judgment;
- Applying for Summary Judgment;
- Litigation in Defended Actions all the way to Trial;
- Preparation of Warrant of Execution;
- Ensuring that goods are properly executed against;
- Section 65 (Debtors’ Court);
- Applications to Declare Immovable Property Executable.
Debt Collection Frequently Asked Questions
How big must the amount be if I want to hand it over for collections?
- How much you are willing to spend on the collections process;
- The likelihood of making a recovery;
- Whether your contract makes sufficient provision for legal costs to be recovered from the debtor.